Open as PDF
The model number and the serial number are located on the
Record the serial number in the space provided below. Refer to
them whenever you call upon your Sony dealer regarding this
Model No. RDP-XF100iP
Serial No. _______________________________
For customers in the USA
Please register this product on line at
Proper registration will enable us to send you
periodic mailings about new products, services,
and other important announcements. Registering
your product will also allow us to contact you in
the unlikely event that the product needs
adjustment or modification. Thank you.
To reduce the risk of fire or electric shock, do not
expose this apparatus to rain or moisture.
To reduce the risk of fire, do not cover the ventilation of
the apparatus with newspapers, tablecloths, curtains, etc.
And do not place lighted candles on the apparatus.
To reduce the risk of fire or electric shock, do not expose
this apparatus to dripping or splashing, and do not place
objects filled with liquids, such as vases, on the
Do not install the appliance in a confined space, such as a
bookcase or built-in cabinet.
Do not expose the batteries (battery pack or batteries
installed) to excessive heat such as sunshine, fire or the
like for a long time.
As the main plug is used to disconnect the unit from the
mains, connect the unit to an easily accessible AC outlet.
Should you notice an abnormality in the unit, disconnect
the main plug from the AC outlet immediately.
The unit is not disconnected from the AC power source
(mains) as long as it is connected to the wall outlet, even
if the unit itself has been turned off.
The nameplate and important information concerning
safety are located on the bottom exterior of main unit
and on the surface of AC power adaptor.
You are cautioned that any changes or modifications not
expressly approved in this manual could void your
authority to operate this equipment.
Danger of explosion if battery is incorrectly replaced.
Replace only with the same type.
This equipment has been tested and found to comply with the
limits for a Class B digital device, pursuant to Part 15 of the
FCC Rules. These limits are designed to provide reasonable
protection against harmful interference in a residential
installation. This equipment generates, uses and can radiate
radio frequency energy and, if not installed and used in
accordance with the instructions, may cause harmful
interference to radio communications. However, there is no
guarantee that interference will not occur in a particular
installation. If this equipment does cause harmful interference
to radio or television reception, which can be determined by
turning the equipment off and on, the user is encouraged to try
to correct the interference by one or more of the following
– Reorient or relocate the receiving antenna.
– Increase the separation between the equipment and receiver.
– Connect the equipment into an outlet on a circuit different
from that to which the receiver is connected.
– Consult the dealer or an experienced radio/TV technician for
Replace the battery for the remote commander with a
Sony CR2025 lithium battery. Use of another battery
may present a risk of fire or explosion.
• Battery may explode if mistreated. Do not recharge,
disassemble or dispose of in fire.
• Dispose of used battery promptly. Keep away from
Important Safety Instructions
1) Read these instructions.
2) Keep these instructions.
3) Heed all warnings.
4) Follow all instructions.
5) Do not use this apparatus near water.
6) Clean only with dry cloth.
7) Do not block any ventilation openings.
Install in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.
8) Do not install near any heat sources such as radiators, heat
registers, stoves, or other apparatus (including amplifiers)
that produce heat.
9) Do not defeat the safety purpose of the polarized or
grounding-type plug. A polarized plug has two blades
with one wider than the other. A grounding type plug has
two blades and a third grounding prong. The wide blade
or the third prong are provided for your safety. If the
provided plug does not fit into your outlet, consult an
electrician for replacement of the obsolete outlet.
10) Protect the power cord from being walked on or pinched
particularly at plugs, convenience receptacles, and the
point where they exit from the apparatus.
11) Only use attachments/accessories specified by the
12) Use only with the cart, stand, tripod, bracket, or table
specified by the manufacturer, or sold with the apparatus.
When a cart is used, use caution when moving the
cart/apparatus combination to avoid injury from tip-over.
13) Unplug this apparatus during lightning storms or when
unused for long periods of time.
Refer all servicing to qualified service personnel. Servicing
is required when the apparatus has been damaged in any
way, such as power-supply cord or plug is damaged, liquid
has been spilled or objects have fallen into the apparatus,
the apparatus has been exposed to rain or moisture, does
not operate normally, or has been dropped.
For the state of california, USA only
Perchlorate Material –special handling may apply, see
Perchlorate Material: Lithium battery contains perchlorate
RECYCLING NICKEL METAL HYDRIDE
Nickel Metal Hydride batteries are
recyclable. You can help preserve our
environment by returning your used
rechargeable batteries to the collection
and recycling location nearest you.
For more information regarding recycling of rechargeable
batteries, call toll free 1-800-822-8837 or visit
Caution: Do not handle damaged or leaking Nickel Metal
The validity of the CE marking is restricted to only those
countries where it is legally enforced, mainly in the countries
EEA (European Economic Area).
Disposal of Old Electrical & Electronic
Equipment (Applicable in the European
Union and other European countries
with separate collection systems)
• Compatible with iPod®/iPhone®
• FM tuner with 20 station presets
• Rechargeable battery for portable use
• Audio in function
• Wireless remote commander supplied
• Play the unit on the power source specified in
• To disconnect the AC power cord (mains lead), pull it
out by the plug, not the cord.
• Since a strong magnet is used for the speaker, keep
personal credit cards using magnetic coding or spring-
wound watches away from the unit to prevent possible
damage from the magnet.
• Do not leave the unit in a location near a heat source
such as a radiator or airduct, or in a place subject to
direct sunlight, excessive dust, mechanical vibration, or
• Allow adequate air circulation to prevent internal heat
build-up. Do not place the unit on a surface (a rug, a
blanket, etc.) or near materials (a curtain) which might
block the ventilation holes.
• Should any solid object or liquid fall into the unit,
unplug the unit and have it checked by qualified
personnel before operating it any further.
• To clean the casing, use a soft cloth dampened with a
mild detergent solution.
NOTES ON LITHIUM BATTERY
• Wipe the battery with a dry cloth to assure a good
• Be sure to observe the correct polarity when installing
• Do not hold the battery with metallic tweezers,
otherwise a short-circuit may occur.
If you have any questions or problems concerning your
unit, please consult your nearest Sony dealer.
©2010 Sony Corporation Printed in China
Preparing a power source
Charge the rechargeable battery before using this unit for
the first time, or when the battery is depleted. You can
operate the unit while charging.
1 Connect the AC power cord (supplied) to the AC
power adaptor (supplied).
2 Connect the AC power adaptor to the DC IN 20V
jack on the back of this unit firmly and plug it into a
AUDIO IN DC IN 20V
Note on the AC power adaptor
• Use the Sony supplied AC power adaptor only. The polarity of the
plugs of other manufactures may be different. Failure to use the
supplied AC power adaptor may cause the unit to malfunction.
3 Confirm that charging has started.
When charging start, the battery indicator appears.
While charging, the charging indicator animation
When the unit is turned off
When charging completes, the full battery indicator
appears for a while, and then disappears.
• If you connect the AC power adaptor when the battery is fully
charged, the full battery indicator appears for a while, and then
• If you connect the AC power adaptor when the battery power is low,
charging starts and the low battery and charging indicator
The unit cannot perform operations without the AC
power adaptor while the low battery indicator
When the unit is turned on
When charging completes, the full battery indicator
• It will take approximately 7 hours to charge the battery.
Using the rechargeable
You can operate the unit with the rechargeable battery
instead of the AC power adaptor.
• The maximum output will be lower when the AC power adaptor is
To check the remaining power of the
The remaining power of the battery will be indicated
when the unit is turned on. As the remaining battery
power depletes, the battery indicator decreases.
Level 1 Level 2 Level 3 Level 4
When the battery becomes almost fully depleted, “LOW
BATT” flashes and the unit will turn off. To charge the
battery, connect the AC power adaptor. ( See “Preparing
a power source.”)
• The remaining battery power will not be indicated when the unit is
• The unit requires at least 30 minutes to charge the battery if “LOW
• The battery indicator shows approximate remaining battery power.
• Operating conditions will affect the rate of battery depletion.
When Battery life
Playback of iPod approx. 7hours*
FM reception approx. 7hours
Measured in accordance with the JEITA (Japan
Electronics and Information Technology Industries
* Playback time measured using a fully charged rechargeable battery
with a fully charged iPod classic.
When to replace the rechargeable
Repeated recharging causes the capacity of the
rechargeable battery power to decrease over time. Replace
the rechargeable battery pack when its capacity becomes
half the usual time, even after charging the battery fully.
• The rechargeable battery pack is not a commercially available
product. To purchase a rechargeable battery pack (NH - 2000 RDP),
consult with your nearest Sony dealer.
Replacing the rechargeable
1 Slide the latch to UNLOCK, and slide RELEASE in
the direction of the arrow on the bottom of this unit.
The battery compartment cover opens, then remove
2 Use a coin, etc., to pull out the rechargeable battery
Remove the rechargeable battery pack and disconnect
the lead from the jack inside the battery compartment.
4 Connect the lead of a new rechargeable battery pack
to the jack and insert the battery in the unit.
5 Close the battery compartment cover and slide the
latch to LOCK.
• Charge a new battery pack before use. See “Preparing a power
source” for details.
• Turn off the unit, before replacing the rechargeable battery pack.
• When replacing the rechargeable battery pack, place a soft cloth,
etc., under the unit.
Preparing the remote
Before using the remote commander for the first time,
remove the insulation film.
To know when to replace the battery
With normal use, the battery (CR2025) should last for
about 6 months. When the remote commander no longer
operates the unit, replace the battery with a new one.
• Do not attempt to charge the battery.
• If you are not going to use the remote commander for a long time,
remove the battery to avoid any damage that may be caused by
leakage and corrosion.