Open as PDF
It is important to read this instruction book prior to using your new product for the first time.
5633 747A (EN/F/E)
Es importante leer este manual antes de usar por vez primera su euipo.
P.O. Box 1976
Indianapolis, IN 46206 - 1976
©2006 Thomson Inc.
Trademark(s) ® Registered
Marque(s) ® Deposée(s)
Marca(s) ® Registrada(s)
Printed in China / Impreso en China
Comercializadora Thomson de México, S.A. de C.V.
Álvaro Obregón No. 151. Piso 13.
Col. Roma. Delegación Cuauhtémoc
C.P. 06700. México, D.F.
This radio has been equipped with a HEADPHONE jack for private listening. The use of
headphones immediately suspends audio output from the radio’s main speaker.
• Do not play your headset at a high volume. Hearing experts advise against
continuous extended play.
• If you experience a ringing in your ears, reduce volume or discontinue use.
• Do not use while operating a motorized vehicle or bicycle, it may create a traffic hazard
and is illegal in many areas.
•You should use extreme caution or temporarily discontinue use in potentially hazardous
• Even if your headset is an open-air type designed to let you hear outside sounds, don't
turn up the volume so high that you can't hear what's around you.
Limited Warranty (United
What your warranty covers:
• Defects in materials or workmanship.
For how long after your purchase:
• One year from date of purchase.
The warranty period for rental units begins with
the first rental or 45 days from date of shipment to
the rental firm, whichever comes first.
What we will do:
• Provide you with a new, or at our option, a
refurbished unit. The exchange unit is under
warranty for the remainder of the original
product’s warranty period.
• Proof of purchase in the form of a bill of sale or
receipted invoice which is evidence that the
product is within the warranty period must be
presented to obtain warranty service. For rental
firms, proof of first rental is also required.
How to make a warranty claim:
• Properly pack your unit. Include any cables, etc.,
which were originally provided with the product.
We recommend using the original carton and
• Include evidence of purchase date such as the bill
of sale. Also print your name and address and a
description of the defect. Send via standard UPS
or its equivalent to:
Product Exchange Center
11721 B Alameda Avenue
Socorro, Texas 79927
• Insure your shipment for of loss or damage.
Thomson accepts no liability in case of damage or
loss en route to Thomson.
• Pay any charges billed to you by the Exchange
Center for service not covered by the warranty.
• A new or refurbished unit will be shipped to you
What your warranty does not cover:
• Customer instruction. (Your Owner’s Manual
provides information regarding operating
Instructions and user controls. For additional
information, ask your dealer.)
• Installation and set-up service adjustments.
• Damage from misuse or neglect.
• Products which have been modified or
incorporated into other products.
• Products purchased or serviced outside the USA.
• Acts of nature, such as but not limited to lightning
Limitation of Warranty:
• THE WARRANTY STATED ABOVE IS THE ONLY
WARRANTY APPLICABLE TO THIS PRODUCT. ALL
OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED
(INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
PURPOSE) ARE HEREBY DISCLAIMED. NO VERBAL
OR WRITTEN INFORMATION GIVEN BY THOMSON
INC., ITS AGENTS OR EMPLOYEES SHALL CREATE A
GUARANTY OR IN ANY WAY INCREASE THE SCOPE
OF THIS WARRANTY.
• REPAIR OR REPLACEMENT AS PROVIDED UNDER
THIS WARRANTY IS THE EXCLUSIVE REMEDY OF THE
CONSUMER. THOMSON INC. SHALL NOT BE LIABLE
FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES
RESULTING FROM THE USE OF THIS PRODUCT OR
ARISING OUT OF ANY BREACH OF ANY EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED WARRANTY ON THIS PRODUCT. THIS
DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES AND LIMITED
WARRANTY ARE GOVERNED BY THE LAWS OF THE
STATE OF INDIANA. EXCEPT TO THE EXTENT
PROHIBITED BY APPLICABLE LAW, ANY IMPLIED
WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR
A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ON THIS PRODUCT IS
LIMITED TO THE APPLICABLE WARRANTY PERIOD SET
How state law relates to this warranty:
• Some states do not allow the exclusion nor limitation
of incidental or consequential damages, or limitations
on how long an implied warranty lasts, so the above
limitations or exclusions may not apply to you.
• This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you
also may have other rights that vary from state to state.
If you purchased your product outside the USA:
This warranty does not apply. Contact your dealer for
Note: The English version of the Canadian Limited
Warranty is printed in the French section.
Before you begin
Operating the Radio
This device complies with Part 15 of the FCC Rules.
Operation is subject to the following two
conditions: (1) This device may not cause harmful
interference, and (2) this device must accept any
interference received, including interference that
may cause undesired operation.
In accordance with FCC requirements, changes or
modifications not expressly approved by Thomson
Inc. could void the user’s authority to operate this
This device generates and uses radio frequency
(RF) energy, and if not installed and used properly,
this equipment may cause interference to radio
and television reception.
If this equipment does cause interference to radio
or television reception (which you can determine
by unplugging the unit), try to correct the
interference by one or more of the following
• Re-orient the receiving antenna (that is, the
antenna for the radio or television that is
“receiving” the interference).
• Move the unit away from the equipment that
is receiving interference.
• Plug the unit into a different wall outlet so that
the unit and the equipment receiving
interference are on different branch circuits.
If these measures do not eliminate the
interference, please consult your dealer or an
experienced radio/television technician for
additional suggestions. Also, the Federal
Communications Commission has prepared a
helpful booklet, “How To Identify and Resolve
Radio TV Interference Problems.” This booklet is
available from the U.S. Government Printing
Office, Washington, DC 20402. Please specify
stock number 004-000-00345-4 when ordering
For Your Safety
The AC power plug is polarized (one blade is
wider than the other) and only fits into AC
power outlets one way. If the plug won’t go
into the outlet completely,
turn the plug over and try to
insert it the other way. If it
still won’t fit, contact a
qualified electrician to
change the outlet, or use a
different one. Do not attempt to bypass
this safety feature.
TO PREVENT FIRE
DO NOT EXPOSE THIS PRODUCT
TO RAIN OR MOISTURE.
SEE MARKING ON BOTTOM / BACK OF PRODUCT
RISK OF ELECTRIC SHOCK
DO NOT OPEN
POINT WITHIN THE
TRIANGLE IS A
ALERTING YOU OF
FLASH AND ARROW-
HEAD WITHIN THE
TRIANGLE IS A
ALERTING YOU OF
CAUTION: TO REDUCE THE
RISK OF ELECTRIC SHOCK,
DO NOT REMOVE COVER
(OR BACK). NO USER-
SERVICEABLE PARTS IN-
SIDE. REFER SERVICING
TO QUALIFIED SERVICE
Main plug is used as the disconnect device, it
shall remain readily operable and should not be
obstructed during intended used. To be
completely disconnected the apparatus from
supply mains, the main plug of the apparatus
shall be disconnected from the mains socket
This portable radio operates on regular household power (120V AC) or 4 “AA” batteries. The
batteries - not included - and the AC line cord are housed in separate compartments in the
Remove the battery door by pushing the tabs down and swinging the door out.
1. Insert the batteries into the battery compartment. Be sure to match the polarity of the
batteries with the diagram.
2. Replace compartment door.
NOTE: After a radio has been used extensively on batteries, the quality of the sound may
deteriorate and volume may decrease. When this happens, remove old batteries and replace
with a complete new set.
Important Battery Information
• Dispose of batteries in the proper manner, according to federal, state, and local
• Any battery may leak electrolyte if mixed with a different battery type, if inserted
incorrectly, if all batteries are not replaced at the same time, if disposed of in fire, or if an
attempt is made to charge a battery not intended to be recharged.
• Discard leaky batteries immediately. Leaking batteries can cause skin burns or other
• Always remove the batteries if worn out, when storing the radio for more than 30 days or
using AC power continually as the batteries may leak chemicals that can badly damage
the electronic components and the cabinet.
1. Remove the AC power cord from the cord compartment on the back of the unit.
2. Plug the power cord into 120V AC outlet. If batteries are installed, the radio will
automatically convert from battery operation to AC power.
AM/FM Portable Radio
Radio Portative AM/FM
Radio Portátil AM/FM
1. Use the VOLUME (VOL) wheel to turn the radio on.
2. Select FM or AM with the band switch.
3. Use the TUNING wheel to select your desired station.
4. Adjust the VOLUME (VOL) wheel to a comfortable listening level.
5. Use the VOLUME (VOL) wheel to turn the radio off.
The Automatic Frequency Control (AFC) helps to keep the radio locked on the FM station to
which it is tuned.
When tuning in FM stations, you may notice that some stations can be heard on two or three
nearby points on the dial. Always tune carefully to the loudest and clearest point.
This radio has a built-in AM antenna and a telescoping whip antenna for FM. Since the built-
in AM antenna is somewhat directional, it may be necessary on weaker AM stations to rotate
the radio slightly until you get the best possible reception.
When listening to FM programs, be sure to fully extend all the sections of the whip antenna.
NOTE: To avoid damaging the whip antenna, always lower the antenna one section at a
time, starting with the largest diameter section. Do not push on the end of the antenna as
this may cause buckling or bending.
Operating the Radio
CAUTION / CARE
Do not expose the unit to extreme temperatures, such as those caused by a hot stove or the
inside of a car parked in the summer sun. Such conditions can damage the unit. Always clean
with a soft cloth, dampened with water only.
This product should be serviced only by those specially trained in appropriate servicing
For instructions on how to obtain service, refer to the warranty in this guide.
Attach your sales receipt for future reference, or write down the date you purchased or
received this product as a gift.
This information will be valuable if service should be required during the warranty period.
Name of store:
The descriptions and characteristics in this owner’s manual are for the purpose of general reference only and not
as a guarantee. In order to provide you with the highest quality product, we may make changes or modifications
without prior notice. The English version serves as the final reference on all product and operational details
should any discrepancies arise in other languages.